Crickhowell's name is taken from the nearby Iron Age hill fort of Crug Hywel above the town. It lies on the beautiful River Usk, on the southern edge of the Black Mountains. There are also a number of lovely churches, good pubs, restaurants and hotels.
Crickhowell features a beautiful seventeenth-century stone bridge and the ruins of Crickhowell Castle built from 1121 on the green "tump" beside the Brecon to Abergavenny road. Crickhowell castle was initially a motte and bailey castle built from 1121, probably by Robert Turberville of the family of Norman Lords. The castle was refortified in stone from 1242. The castle was walled with substantial stone towers and a large bailey, a home castle befitting an important Royal ally in Wales. The castle was refortified on the Royal command of new King King Henry IV in 1400. The castle was largely destroyed in the early 15th century by Owain Glyndŵr's forces who also attacked and burned Abergavenny town and other settlements in the area. The ruined stone double tower still stands on the Castle Green in the centre of Crickhowell Town.
Crickhowell's most famous son was the mapping expert Sir George Everest (1798-1866) after whom Mount Everest was named.
Crickhowell is a popular tourist destination, most people visit Crickhowell to see the Black Mountains and the Brecon Beacons. Tourists often take the chance to enjoy some walking, mountain-biking, camping, hillwalking, rock climbing, fly-fishing, hang-gliding, caravanning or simply tour the area by car.